Graphic Designer – First Things First
Graphic Designer – First Things First
First Things First (AZ Early Childhood Development and Health Board), is a public agency that exists to increase the quality of, and access to, the early childhood development and health system that ensures a child entering school comes healthy and ready to succeed. Passed by voter initiative in 2006, First Things First operates through a tax on tobacco products. Governed by a state board and thirty-one Regional Partnership Councils, First Things First is a decentralized organization that engages diverse constituencies to accomplish its mission. Organizational values include a focus on accountability, transparency, coordination, collaboration and on the outcomes that will ensure young children start kindergarten ready for school and life.
The graphic designer will use strong creative skills and a marketing focus to create visual materials and solutions – with an emphasis on print design, layout and production – that support and advance the agency’s strategic communications goals.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the general guidance of the director of brand advancement, as part of the external affairs team, the Graphic Designer will:
• Design, produce and work collaboratively in the creation of engaging print communications materials for external and internal audiences. Projects to include, but not limited to: publications, reports, signage, advertising, invitations, fact sheets, brochures, fliers, templates and others that support and advance the agency’s mission. Visual design to include graphics, photo selection and editing, layout and preparation for print production. Complete deliverables in accordance with established timelines.
• Create designs and layout for electronic communications, including newsletters, e-blasts, social media and other projects, in collaboration with the user interface designer.
• Work collaboratively with members of external affairs team, regional staff and others, contributing creative ideas, visual solutions, and graphic standards to meet shared goals.
• Review materials submitted by agency grantees and regional staff to ensure brand consistency and provide design consultation in a timely manner.
• Manage and develop the agency’s photo library.
• Keep current with advances in desktop publishing software, trends in the visual arts, and print technology and production processes.
The ideal candidate will:
• Possess knowledge of principles and best practices of graphic design, layout and production.
• Be skilled in techniques for a variety of graphic design activities, including desktop publishing and layout, production, illustration, and pre-press file preparation; and have strong technical expertise and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office and other related software.
• Be adept at exercising independent judgment, initiative and assertiveness; analyzing situations quickly and taking appropriate and effective action; developing positive relations with others; organizing resources and establishing priorities; communicating technical information in oral and written form to both technical and non-technical personnel.
• Ability to work independently, prioritize assignments and respond to requests in an appropriate and timely manner.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• A bachelor’s degree is preferred in a graphic design, visual communication or related field, plus at least two years of previous experience in graphic design and layout in a professional working environment (design studio, ad agency, public relations firm or print production-related area); Or, an equivalent amount of training and experience.
• In-depth familiarity with appropriate industry standards and techniques and demonstrated expertise in hands-on graphic design.
In the AZ State Personnel System, the position is classified as a Grade 20 with a salary range of $36,814 – $65,827. The position is not covered under the State of Arizona Merit system rules. The State of Arizona offers an outstanding comprehensive benefits package.
Review of resumes will begin on September 30, 2013 and continue until the position is filled.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter, comprehensive resume and three professional references at www.azstatejobs.gov.