Talent is Overrated: Life Skills for Young Designers
You’re a young and talented designer trying to navigate your design career. But talent is only part of the equation – and it's often overrated. What about growing your career, learning new skills, becoming more business savvy, and entrepreneurship?
Join us for an evening with a panel of seasoned designers who’ve successfully navigated the many paths of a design career and are open to sharing their experiences, offering valuable advice, and answering whatever questions you may have. In addition, the evening will include a small-group breakout session as well as time to mingle over drinks and appetizers.
Who Should Attend:
- Emerging designers seeking to advance their careers
- Designers seeking to make changes in their careers
- Seasoned designers seeking to interact with and advocate for emerging designers
- Marc Oxborrow, Creative Director of Casual Astronaut
- GG LeMere, Creative Director and Owner of Smidge.
- Caesar Chaves, Creative Director of Heard Museum
- Adele Mulford, Director of Creative Services at Make-A-Wish America
The Arizona chapter's event is part of AIGA's nationwide EMERGE Awareness Week. EMERGE is a series of experiences tailored to help the emerging designer hone their skills, discover their talents, and grow their career. AIGA is kicking off the new EMERGE Initiative with a week’s worth of events and content, across a variety of chapters.
The EMERGE initiative offers customizable content, scalable to all chapters and their community needs, in the areas of Employment, Growth, Leadership, Entrepreneurship, and Life Skills, for designers who are just launching their careers and for those who have up to five years of experience in the field.
Check out what other chapters across the country are doing at aiga.org/emerge and via hashtag #AIGAemerge. Other AIGA chapter pages:
August 15, Monday: AIGA Wichita, 5 rounds: agency vs. freelance
August 16, Tuesday: AIGA Minnesota, Designer as entrepreneur
August 17, Wednesday: AIGA St. Louis, Portfolio development
August 18, Thursday: AIGA Arizona, Talent is overrated: life skills for young designers*
August 19, Friday: AIGA Seattle, EMERGE inspired: five speakers share experience & advice for early career success
August 20, Saturday: AIGA Blue Ridge, The game of life: EMERGE edition
* AIGA members from any chapter can attend the AIGA AZ event for free with advance registration. For non-members and at-the-door tickets, the cost of a ticket is only $10. Both AIGA members and non-members must register in advance to guarantee their spot. Seating is limited.
Your registration constitutes permission to use photos, audio, and video recording taken of you at the event for promotional and educational purposes in connection with AIGA Arizona, and places you on the master mailing list.
AIGA Arizona has adopted the AIGA Code of Conduct with regard to its activities. We reserve the right to refuse admittance for violations of this Code, or other unlawful or disruptive actions. Any concerns should be addressed to the AIGA Arizona president.
Speakers' presentations and viewpoints are their own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of AIGA Arizona. We are not responsible for the content of every presentation; please be aware that adult language, visuals or topics may sometimes be included.